Monday 3 December 2012

Rick Majerus'achievements as a coach


Rick Majerus, the colorful college basketball coach considered one of the most brilliant minds in the history of the sport, died Saturday at 64. I spoke with Majerus for the first time and only on March 27. Louisville Kentucky and were about to meet in the Final Four, John Caliph pitting against Rick Pitino in what seemed to be a showcase of the great American sports rivalry last workout. I called Majerus, who coached what would be his last season with St. Louis in 2011-12, to find out what happened to the coaching rivalry that once overshadowed the games themselves. Majerus court instead held, to give me a recent history of college basketball and what was his opinion on the sport he loved. Here are some excerpts from the interview:

Reducing personality training: Now, with tweeting and Facebook and all the things that were not available then, it has more players. The coach is a bit "the face of the program, but I guarantee you guys tune in any medium shall cause to dunk or see the shot on the second game last or see or hear anyone what to tweeting.'s why it's different from the day before. It all turned on bigger stage.

Social media: If you're 19 - or 20-year-old guy, you do not want to get in tune to what the coach says. It is the real fashion. You tune into someone Facebook page and Twitter account or YouTube posting.

Recruiting: Recruiting used to be more localized. Recruitment is now international. If Louisville Kentucky or losing a child, there is another guy from Siberia road.

Coaching: It 'more transient. Nowadays, every coach is fairly well compensated. I think there's more live and let live attitude.

In support, I always have fun at those press conferences. Believe me, they are a serious contender. I think I'm the [19]-winningest coach in the game right now, and I have not been to UCLA the world. But I also realize it's a game.

Of younger coaches: I feel bad for some of these guys. They get a call from AAU team for 10 am saying someone is going to take an unofficial visit. I put the phone down. I do not go to sleep waiting for the guy to call me AAU.

Privacy in the Internet era: I'm going to Hawaii this summer, and if someone shoots me with a camera, and I'm having Pina Colada in the pool, I do not care. A lot of guys will be upset with this. But I'm in Hawaii!

No comments:

Post a Comment